We are constantly learning and striving to advance the standard of patient care in our office. We offer the following treatments with our Biolase Diode Laser:
- Soft tissue crown lengthening
- Excisional biopsies
- Fibroma removal
- Laser Bacterial Reduction (LBR). The laser is used to deliver light energy locally to the infected site to eradicate the bacteria by causing a rupture of the cell wall. Laser energy is delivered by light to which there are no contra-indications and to which the bacteria cannot develop a resistance to. The LBR process is painless and normally takes 5-10 minute. There are 3 major benefits:
- Reduction or elimination of bacteremias. During the normal cleaning process, most patients will have areas that may bleed. This allows bacteria present in our mouth to be mixed into the bloodstream and possibly settle in weakened area of our body – such as damaged heart valve, compromised blood vessels, or artificial joints. We pre-medicate those with the highest risk with antibiotics. Latest research has shown oral pathogens are linked to cardiovascular disease, pancreatic cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, low birth weight babies, diabetes, etc. LBR can effectively reduce bacteria count to significantly lower your chance of bacteremias.
- Prevent cross contamination. LBR minimizes the chance that we may inadvertently pick up bacterial infection in your mouth and move it to another area.
- Optimize periodontal health and pocket reduction. In conjunction with LBR, physical cleaning of pockets (scaling) and good homecare (brushing & flossing) can effectively allow healing to occur without the presence of high bacteria levels, allowing pockets to reduce to ideal levels.